A guide to buying new kitchen doors online
by Shannon Lee
Face Your Kitchen Columnist
If you have chosen to save money by refacing your cabinets instead of replacing them, you might be tempted to make the savings even deeper by ordering kitchen cabinet doors online. Though this option can work well, there are some caveats to remember.
7 shop-wise tips when buying kitchen cabinets, drawers online
Ordering your replacement cabinets and kitchen drawers online can save money, but only if you shop wisely and avoid the pitfalls that can sometimes accompany making a large purchase online. Here are a few tips to keep in mind before you click "Add to Cart":
- Measure. Then measure again. When ordering cabinet doors online, the measurements are up to you. For best results, they should be exact. Not sure how to measure? There are plenty of online guides that can help. To be certain, contact a professional contractor.
- Go with a reputable company. There are numerous online-only companies that seem to offer a great deal, but when you get the doors, they aren't anything like what you expected. Avoid this by going with a company that has a long history and good reputation.
- Make sure you are selecting the right product. Are you looking for solid wood doors? Read the fine print to make sure you aren't getting solid fronts with particle board inserts or some other combination of materials you don't want. If the descriptions online are not clear, call the company and ask.
- Watch out for shipping costs. Cabinet doors can be very heavy, so it makes sense that the shipping cost can be high--but you don't want to eat up all your savings in delivery. Look for companies that can ship from local stores. This could help you save more.
- Understand the return policy. The last thing you want is a faulty cabinet door that can't be returned. Before you place the order, make certain you can return the doors, if necessary.
- Get a warranty. Some companies can offer great doors at inexpensive prices, because they don't include a warranty. If having that peace of mind is important to you, pay a bit extra to make sure you are getting the protection you want.
- Inspect the cabinet doors immediately. Make sure everything on the order slip matches what arrived in the boxes. Look for signs of scratches, dents or other damage. Double-check the sizing against your measurements to make sure the company gave you the right doors.
With a little research and a good dose of common sense, you can save money by ordering kitchen doors online. Just remember to take your time and make certain you are ordering exactly what you want before you hand over your credit card information.
To find a kitchen expert now,
call toll-free: 1-855-652-9016