Refacing Kitchen Cabinets: Choosing Kitchen Door Fronts
by Karen Lawson
Face Your Kitchen Columnist
Refacing kitchen cabinets is a great way to spruce up an outdated kitchen without the cost and inconvenience of remodeling your kitchen. Refacing kitchen cabinet doors is a cost effective solution if your cabinets are structurally sound.
Actual costs for refacing cabinets vary depending on the size and number of cabinets, materials used, and labor costs, but here are some ballpark estimates:
- Refacing an average sized kitchen with quality hardwood including alder, cherry or mahogany costs $3,500 to $5,000 on average.
- Larger kitchens including features such as islands cost $7,000 to $8,500 or more using premium hardwood.
Kitchen Door Fronts: Reface or Replace?
- Refacing: If your kitchen cabinets and their doors are sound, you may be able to reface the cabinet doors with durable veneers consisting of--or closely resembling--wood, or you can choose unfinished panels. DIY refacing materials are available online, or your contractor can supply refacing materials.
- Replacing kitchen doors: Kitchen cabinet doors that are damaged or that don't match the style of your new kitchen can be replaced. Solid wood cabinetry popular in the 1950s through 1970s is of superior quality and can be preserved by refacing or replacing kitchen cabinet door fronts. You can change your kitchen's appearance by changing styles and materials of your cabinet doors. Popular kitchen door materials include wood, veneer, stainless steel, and glass made by brands such as Omega, Thomasville and StarMark.
- Hardware: Enhance your kitchen's new look with hinges and cabinet door handles suited to your new kitchen door fronts.
Shopping online for kitchen door fronts is helpful for finding options meeting your style preferences and budget.
About the Author
Karen Lawson is a freelance writer whose interests include home and garden projects and interior design. She holds BA and MA degrees in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
To find a kitchen expert now,
call toll-free: 1-855-652-9016