Before Cabinet Refacing, Get Checklist in Order
by Allison Millar
Face Your Kitchen Columnist
There are many decisions to make during a cabinet refacing project. To streamline the process, look to this handy refacing checklist.
Cabinet refacing can dramatically change your kitchen design. As you plan the project, consider what cabinet style you want. Take these important steps:
About the Author
Allison E. Beatty is a syndicated real estate writer. She has been a writer of home improvement columns for 15 years. Her articles have appeared in numerous national newspapers and magazines, and on home improvement web sites.
- Select the Cabinet Door Style: Doors come in a wide variety of styles, from contemporary flat door fronts to more traditional doors with high arches or detailed wood designs. Here are some kitchen design tips for selecting a style:
- For continuity, stick with the same overall style as your current kitchen design
- For more emphasis, add cabinet doors with more detail
- Select the Cabinet Wood Species: From oak to cherry to birch, there are many woods to consider. Here are some kitchen design tips to help you choose a species:
- Use light cabinet woods such as maple and oak as a contrast with dark floors
- Try darker cabinet woods such as cherry for a dramatic change to the kitchen design
- Decide Whether You Want Cabinet "Extras": Decide if you want items such as glass doors, crown molding, and other accents. Each can improve the kitchen design, but will cost a little more. Perhaps pick one or two extras that will boost the kitchen design.
- Plan the Timing of Your Refacing Project: While cabinet refacing is much quicker than full-scale kitchen remodeling, it will cause short-term change to your meal routine. Plan the project around important events you'll need your kitchen for, such as holiday dinners and birthday parties.
- Decide Whether to Complete Other Projects at the Same Time: A new kitchen faucet, sink and countertop can pull together the overall kitchen design.
To find a kitchen expert now,
call toll-free: 1-855-652-9016